Saturday, January 26, 2013

from my cousin who walks with me

for you dear cousin,
 
I read this in a novel I was reading- where the past seemed to come alive and flavor or speak to the present...
 
From the Lace Makers of Glenmara, by Heather Barbieri. "Sometimes I think there's too much history here...  That the land won't let us forget what pains us. It's not a bad thing, the remembering, it's an important part of who we are, the suffering that shapes us, that reminds us how strong we can be."
 
I think the strong sense of history also helps us to dream of what can be and give us hope again... the picture of the treaty medallion- with the treaty partners shaking hands- of coming together, brother to brother, sister to sister- of being able to rediscover and base our lives again on the spirit and intent of the treaties. I guess it's the two sides of the coin... the hurts, but also the dreams shaped by the past that is so strong here.
 
The quote made me think of Fort Qu'Appelle and of what is in your heart.... love ya, angela


Angela on Echo Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment