Monday, January 14, 2013

Ally Bill of Responsibilities by Dr. Lynn Gehl

This is an excellent reminder to all allies. In my study of anti-racism, I have considered some of these points in articles like jona olson's "For White Anti-Racists: Avoiding the Detours in the Journey Toward Justice" and the classic "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh.
 
I will never be "done" reminding myself of these responsibilities because it is so easy to make it about oneself, rather than the people we are walking alongside.
 
Here's some words from my sacred teachings: "If you’ve gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don’t push your way to the front; don’t sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand." (Philippians 2, The Message)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment