Monday, December 3, 2012

Things I Didn't Have Time to Say at Montmartre's Curricular and Extra Curricular Awards Night

I’ve been thinking a lot about ceremony lately because I’ve been asked to “preside” at a Wedding Ceremony, way up in Northern BC. I’ve been thinking about ceremony and how it is usually a simple gathering, but there is a sacredness to it. Online etymology says, “a reverent rite,” and I would add that people involved in ceremony usually leave with honour and responsibility to walk in a new way.

I have also been thinking a lot about curriculum for the past ten years, taking my masters and most recently being invited to contribute to an Anthology in honour of the great Ted Aoki, Canadian Curriculum guru. Did you know the word “Curriculum” comes from the concept of a “current”? So an Awards Night like this celebrates curricular and extra curricular running and flowing -- lively, eager, and swift like a river

And here I am, Monday morning, the day after I spoke in Montmartre at their Awards Night. The road is icy, ice. The Governance Centre and Tipi is lit up, impressive against the dark sky. I find it easier to navigate the polished road if I do a little hop-jog.

I'm wondering if I really said what I needed to say last night. I guess my Treaty Walks, which I was privileged to share last night, is both about Ceremony and Curriculum. The treaties were signed during ceremony, so they are sacred like a wedding. And treaty is curriculum, it is a living document, flowing and running.

I wanted to challenge those attending the awards ceremony to leave feeling honoured and challenged with the responsibility to walk in a new way.

I'm sure walking in a new way this morning, the hop-jog-walk.

But I'm also walking, feeling very honoured to have been asked to be the guest speaker at Montmartre's 39th Annual Awards Night. I am also feeling challenged with the responsibility of sharing my treaty story in a new way.

So, thank you Montmartre, for the warmth you shared with Michael and me last night, just as you welcomed Michael to your staff over ten years ago, when we first moved south from Black Lake. You have helped me kick it up a notch, through the honour of an invitation and the responsibility I feel leaving your ceremony.


No comments:

Post a Comment