Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Live Interview with Lloyd Pinay for Our Youth Speak: The Healing Edition

Ryan and Journey have chosen to focus their article on artist Lloyd Pinay who sculpted the statue of the man holding the eagle which stands outside the graveyard park beside the court house and social services building.



"The interview will be in fifteen minutes," Ryan says at the beginning of period two.We set up our audio equipment in the Community Room. I call Ryan on my cell for a test-run on his speaker phone. It works!

Lloyd calls the school to tell us he's ready for the interview. Ryan calls Lloyd. Journey poises his pencil.

I listen in a little. Ryan speaks clearly and confidently. Journey is taking notes, nodding as he listens to a good point. I'm so proud of these guys. They sound professional. Pictures, I think. I've got to get some pictures. I open the door quietly, tip toe out; I tip toe back in, snap a few shots. I want to listen in, but I need to get back to my students.


 
Ryan and Journey come back, carrying the basket of equipment. I play the audio in file 008. They listen. "Yup, that' it," they say. I save to their files.

It's noon now. I'm listening to the boys interview. It's amazing, a school-time-window into my treaty-walks-world.
  1. Can you please introduce yourself and tell us your profession?
  2. Where do you come from?
  3. Where and when did you start sculpting?
  4. Was there somebody who inspired you to sculpt? Someone or something?
  5. I'm curious about what is the story behind the Indian statue in Fort Qu'Appelle here.
  6. Do you have a personal favorite sculpture that you have made?
  7. There's something else I was meaning to ask you. One of the main points in our magazine is "healing" and I was wondering, is it possible to heal through art? Anything along that line?
  8. What are your plans for the future?
You'll have to buy our magazine, Our Young People Speak: The Healing Edition to hear the answers.



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment