Friday, March 29, 2013

I See the Moon

"I see the moon, the moon sees me
Down through the leaves of the old oak tree
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

Oh, over the mountain, over the sea
Back where my heart is longing to be
Please let the light that shines on me
Shine on the one I love."

The Mariners - 1953 Voices Of Walter Schumann - 1953 The Stargazers - 1954

These are words from one of my favorite songs Mum sang with us, and I sing them, too, with my girls. Maybe I love that song because I'm melancholic or sentimental. Maybe because Mum says my first word was moon.

My girls love the moon, too. This past week, driving home from music lessons, Moira said, "Look at the moon." It was resting on the hills, so perfectly round and bright. Our cameras couldn't capture it, so we drove right past our lane, around the bend. "Let's get out, walk just a little," Moira said.

Arwen jumped out of the back, with only a sweater. "Wrap yourself in that blanket," I said.

We walked into the moonlight, the girls in the deep snow, wrestling, then gazing off, across the ice and snow lake.

Thank you for sharing this land and water and sky and moon.




No comments:

Post a Comment