Monday, February 25, 2013

Today is a Surprise Audit Day

First day back to school after a week and a bit away. Uggg. What to do. What to do. I started the new semester wearing a safety vest in our Moving Company simulation followed by borrowing an Iron Science Teacher lab coat for my Language Laboratory. What I really need to do is get the marks caught up. Ah ha! I'll be an accountant.

I pull on tights, a pencil skirt, frilly blouse, suit jacket, and heels. This is my best attempt at accountant garb. I clip, clip into the classroom and write "Today is a Surprise Audit" on the white board. I set the room up in rows, open the English teacher's books, and start calling students.

"Let me see your journal, your binder. Let's record the mark from your Moving Company Exam."

"This is scary," one of the students says.

"Good," I say, "Audits are scary." But then I soften. "Accountants just give feedback for improvement."

Gets me thinking this morning about power and improvement. About self-directed goals and power-imposed goals. About the ugly history of audits within Canadian history. Makes me wonder, what to do, what to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment