Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thomas Mulcair Leader of the Official Opposition Replies to My Letter

I wrote to the Prime Minister of Canada back in December and copied the Honorable Thomas Mulcair, Leader of the Offical Opposition, New Democratic Party of Canada.
http://www.treatywalks.blogspot.ca/2012/12/open-letter-to-prime-minister-harper-to.html

Here is Tom Mulair's response:


 
 
January 22, 2013
 
Dear Ms. Koops:
 
Thank you for taking the time to copy me on your letter to Prime Minister Harper in support of the Idle No More grassroots protests and Chief Theresa Spence's hunger strike.
 
First, please know that I believe that the Idle No More grassroots movement is an important vehicle to influence, in a meaningful way, the relationship between all of Canada's governments. I also think that we must all work together to fight inequality and find a path towards justice for First Nations, Inuit, and Metis peoples.
 
Many Canadians are looking to Prime Minister Harper and his government to live up to past commitments and begin to forge a more respectful relationship. Like you, I believe that now is the time for leaders to work together on solutions. New Democrats stand ready to assist with these efforts.
 
Further, I would like to share with you my recent Op-Ed, Face-to-face and nation-to-nation, highlighting our commitment to the principles of meaningful consultation and real co-operation with Canada's Aboriginal people. http://treatywalks.blogspot.ca/2013/02/face-to-face-and-nation-to-nation-with.html
 
Regarding chief Spence's ongoing hunger strike, I have no advice to offer on what her personal decisions should be. However, I have shared my sincere personal concern for her health. She's done great work and has helped to make change. I do hope that she will continue to be able to move things forward.
 
Again thank you for writing. Please be assured that New Democrats will continue to speak out on this issue in support of achieving an equal partnership between Canadians and First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples. It's time for a concrete plan from the federal government to fix this broken relationship.
 
All the best,
 
Thomas Mulcair, P.C. M.P
Leader of the Official Opposition
New Democratic Party of Canada
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment