Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day One Hundred and Thirty Eight: My Future's in a New World, But my Heart is in the Past

We hear this expression, walking in two worlds, and it means something different to everyone who uses it. But after teaching with the Black Lake Dene First Nation for five years and now in Fort Qu'Appelle, with Saulteaux, Dakota and Cree students for nine years, I can't help but think of the young First Nations men and women who want to honour traditional ways while succeeding within modern society.

When I was in Black Lake, I wrote this song to try to better understand my students who were walking in two worlds.

I am just a young man, and I live a way up north
My father, he is Dene, like his father was before
I lived out on the trap line for many of my years
You’ve heard we hunt the caribou, some say the people of the deer

Ey yi yi, di di di di dy, Ey ya di da di yi

I am just a young man, and I live a way up north
My people’s ways are changing, like the people’s in the south
I know I need my schooling, and my teacher’s on my case
But the arctic wind is calling, I can feel it on my face

Ey yi yi, di di di di dy, Ey ya di da di yi

Well I am just a young man, and I live a way up north
I want to track the martin, or walk on the frozen shore
Ne be horel ya, are you happy, my grannies eyes they ask
My future’s in a new world, but my heart is in the past

Ey yi yi, di di di di dy, Ey ya di da di yi

No comments:

Post a Comment