Wednesday, October 10, 2012

We are all Treaty People by Jack Lee




We Are All Treaty People
By Jack Lee

“Why am I doing this?” The first words came up in my mind when I put my feet on the bus; my head drooping like an octopus. The sun was high up in the sky, and the winds were hitting my back to cheer me up. I took a seat, and peeked out of the window. There were only a few tipis on the grass like big birthday hats. Is this like a celebration?

A few minutes later, our school bus stopped at the Treaty 4 grounds. I took a step out of the bus as soon as possible. The air was fresh, and the sun was greeting me again. I turned my head toward the bleachers, and I saw a lot of students sitting there and squeezing their brains each time the announcer gave a hard question to them as if they are taking a final exam. Well lucky them, it is just a quiz show, if it wasn’t, I’m one hundred percent sure that they are going to fail the test. Then some idea, which I didn’t realize it for a long time, grazed over my head. Maybe this is related to me somehow. Maybe this is very important to me to understand if I am living in Saskatchewan.

The hour and another hour passed by, but I didn’t find any clues for the answer. But still, I had a valuable hope in my mind; I sat on a bleacher with hot poutine in my hands. Sometimes hard work makes me very hungry. Then I saw a few First Nations People waiting for the Pow-wow demonstrations. They wear beautiful clothes made of leather. Some of dancers are old, and some of them are very young, but there were some things they have in common.

The first dancers came in and I watched them carefully. He danced like an eagle, and then changed into a bear. He changed into a few other animals, but I can’t figure out what they were. I glanced to the other audiences, and they are also fall into a deep fantasy. It looks like all of them are part of this.

When the dancers finished their dance, the people clapped their hands, and it was so loud, it sounds like they are blowing the trumpets. I smiled. All the people, even newcomers, the people from other countries like me, are part of the treaty. We are all treaty people.

“Enjoy the dance, Jack?” my friend broke my imagination, but I nodded.

“Yea, of course I enjoyed it. I was so focused on the dance; I think I can easily dance like her.” I said, and then I pointed at a girl who was still dancing for the demonstration.

“Um… I didn’t know you like to dance a girl dance.” He laughed.

“Oh…” I laughed, too.   


(Written September 2011 when Jack was in grade ten.)
 
 
 

14 comments: