Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Day of School



While we were setting up our classes on the first day of school in Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Leo Baskatawang and Ashley Bottle stood on parliament hill and displayed copies of the Indian Act they had dragged, chained to themselves, all the way across the country. I met these two young men in Saskatoon at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Hearings last spring. Their March 4 Justice is just a beginning as youth leaders use their intelligence and courage to show us a better way.
I will be following them.


As I walked to school this morning, a rainbow appeared in the sky. In my sacred teachings, the rainbow is a symbol of hope and a promise that the earth will not be flooded again. I pray that today the rainbow will bring hope to those who are marching for justice, who are sacrificing to teach us a better way.







No comments:

Post a Comment