Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day Eighty-Seven: Take the Stand

the wind pushes into me like a bully
gives a walk-by shove in the hallway
and keeps moving
my arms chilled against sweater
against thin, blue Gortex
and I wish I had thicker skin

the wind is white in the car light
otherwise the wind blows invisible
like the privilege I carry in my knapsack

neighbour rolls down his window
do I need a ride this morning
mocha coffee waiting warm
in the school, from Michael

on the way home
I'm crossing the tracks
and the railway manager
drives his SUV right into the ditch
"Hey, what are you doing?"
and I pull the balaclava knit off my mouth
and adjust my hood
"I'm taking pictures."
"What are you taking pictures of?"
"Little mountain ranges along the rail,"
I laugh, "I know it looked bad,"
me laying beside the track for perspective.
"Uh huh," he is scowling or maybe smiling
"I'm a teacher at the high school,
walking to and from work
my home is over there," I point across the tracks.
"I have a blog, write about my walks, and post pictures."
I smile. "I'm being an artist."
now he does smile
and drives off

I'm taking my stand,
even in this wind
even against this cold,
and good for me and all,
but my stand is nothing
really
compared to those
who face these winds
every day
nobody offering rides
bringing mocha
and the law driving away with a smile

I take a stand
and then go home
put my feet up on the couch
and the wind is still howling

Note: This post was inspired by my daughter, Victoria, and her classmates at Western Christian College and High School in Regina who made a video called, "Take the Stand". Victoria is the co-director, and she tells me that the National Red Cross has approached the school to get permission to use the video in an anti-bullying campaign. To see the video, click on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9B0juBvug

No comments:

Post a Comment