Monday, May 20, 2024

Victoria Day on the May Long Weekend


Longsuffering

Surprising

Inspiring

I am thinking of my Treaty relatives today, the Monday holiday of the May Long Weekend. 

Longsuffering.

Not only waiting, but how we act while waiting

Extraordinarily patient

For settler colonials like me, Victoria Day may be a time of Treaty promises renewal. 

1819 Victoria is born on May 24th and becomes Queen at 18 in June of 1837

1874 Canadian Treaty Number 4 is signed by the Crown

1876 Indian Act is established in Canada, breaking Treaty promises

My Treaty relatives practice "longsuffering", a teaching that my sacred scriptures address, where one lives a patience "which has the power to endure whatever injustice or unpleasantness comes, with good temper". 

Longsuffering

Unexpected

Not owed

This morning, on Victoria Day, I texted a new friend and spiritual brother. "I am honoured to walk with people like you, who follow the red road, who walk with a strength that must come from great Creator above."

long/suffering

LONG/suffering

long/SUFFERING

I dedicate my energy, on this land, to honouring my side of the Treaty handshake, mindful that my people have historically and systemically benefitted from the sacred Treaties while not offering reciprocity on any scale.

Longsuffering

patience, which has the power to endure

whatever injustice or unpleasantness comes, with good temper

Yesterday in church, my old friend and spiritual brother, preached a message he called, "While You Are Waiting" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hrzKHYBHJM His sermon, based around Psalms 37, verses 3-6 came to life as I watched the smile of knowing grow on my nine year old granddaughter's face. She is an Indigenous girl. 

Longsuffering.

She knows a lot about waiting.

She reaches within and without for strength.

May we settler colonials wake up in time to address these injustices in all ways, relationally, economically, spiritually, and practically. I do not take this extraordinary patience for granted, but live in gratitude and try to follow the good, spiritual patterns my Treaty relatives live daily.



No comments:

Post a Comment